08 Dec What Is Microblading? Everything You Need to Know.
Tired of using an eyebrow pencil that wipes off after a few hours? Well, we have got a solution for you!
What Is Microblading?
Microblading is a semi-permanent tattoo procedure that is widely used to create a perfectly natural and fuller look of your eyebrows by placing a special brow pigment under your skin.
How is it done?
The microblading treatment is done by using a handheld tool outfitted with micro-needles which is used to draw hairline strokes within your eyebrows to give them a natural shape, volume, and structure of your choice. The microneedles are that small that they cannot be seen in detail by the naked eyes which helps to create a realistically looking hair strokes.
The final look of your eyebrows is carefully chosen and consulted with your artists before the procedure. Our certified eyebrow artists have been trained to master the best techniques such as Phibrows or 22 Institute and of course use the highest quality material to work with. They also work individually with each client to achieve the best results possible.
Consultations and sessions
Unlike getting a tattoo, microblading is not applied into the deep layer of the skin, but into the surface layer of the dermis. Your eyebrows will look perfect for about 12 to 18 months depending on your skin type as everyone’s skin is different. To make your treatment last the longest time possible we do recommend a correction/to up of your brows after 4 weeks from your first treatment. Good aftercare is also very important for a long-lasting effect.
In general, microblading should not cause any pain, however, some discomfort such as scratching may be felt during the procedure. The whole treatment should take about half an hour.
Is Microblading for Me?
The answer is yes! Microblading is for everyone irrespective of their age, skin type, or gender. You should consider microblading if:
- You are not happy with the natural look of your eyebrows
- You do not have enough or no hair
- You are not happy with using a brow pencil every day
- You want your eyebrows to look natural when sporting
- You want to feel better about your face at all times
However, we do recommend consulting with your doctor if you have any type of skin disorder or you are not sure if this treatment is for you.
Before Treatment Instructions
In order for the procedure to be the most successful and get your skin ready, we do recommend avoiding the following.
- Do not consume coffee on the day
- Do not work out on the day
- Do not drink alcohol 24 hours before
- Do not wax or tin your brows 3 days before
- Do not take Fish Oil or Vitamin E 1 week before
- Do not pick/wax/perform electrolysis 1 week before
- Do not have any type of facial or peel 2 weeks before
- Do not tun 2 weeks before
- Do not use tanning spray 2 weeks before
- Do not have Botox 3 weeks before
- Do not take Vitamin A or Retinol products 1 month before the treatment.
Microblading Step by Step
- First Consultation
The whole treatment is split into two appointments.
During the first consultation, you will discuss the procedure with your artist and decide on the best shape, look as well as the colour of your eyebrows to suit your skin and hair colour.
Our treatment is performed right after the consultation, however, if you would like to see us prior to the treatment we are happy to accommodate your wishes.
- Measurement and Drawing
By using rulers or callipers the position of your eyebrows is measured and drawn on the face to find the perfect look for each client. It is important to consider a face shape or features. The measurements assure that the brows are even and symmetrical. If needed any threading of hairs or cleaning up the brows area is done to prepare for treatment.
When a client is satisfied with a drawn look of their eyebrows and the right colour is chosen the microblading is performed. The pigment is gently implanted under the skin. Strokes are always drawn in the direction of natural hair’s growth to achieve a realistic look.
- Skin Cleaning and Moisturising
The area is cleaned from the pigment colour and after the cream is applied.
- Second Consultation
The second consultation is done precisely 4 weeks after the first treatment appointment. We call this appointment as a correction in which we correct any uneven parts in your brows that may have disappeared during the healing process. It is normal that between 10 to 15% of strokes disappear after the first treatment. This may be caused by the reaction of your body when adjusting a new pigment colour under your skin.
Risks and Side Effects
Despite microblading being not as invasive into the skin as for example tattooing, there are some possible risks and side effects associated with this treatment.
- Immediately after the treatment is done your skin is very likely to be red for about an hour which is caused due to the skin invasion by microneedles.
- The colour of your brows will be about 40% darker until it fully heals within 4 weeks.
- Your brows can be itchy during the recovery time.
- As with any invasion into the skin, there is a risk of infection, however, we only use a single used tool as well as our procedures are done in a sterilised environment. Therefore, there is a minimum risk of infection from our end. We do advise clients on aftercare and post treatment behaviour to minimise this.
Healing and Aftercare
The initial healing time can take up to 2 weeks. Full recovery takes usually up to 4 weeks – it all depends on how your skin adjusts with the new pigment as well as your aftercare. As the skin can be irritated or dry, we do recommend to moisten the skin with a cream.
Furthermore, the following is not recommended.
- Do NOT touch your face for up to 24 hours.
- Minimise the risk of getting the area wet for up to 10 days.
- No sauna, sun or solarium for 10 days.
- No skin products such as makeup or peelings on your skin for 10 days.
- No water sport for 10 days.
- Keep your hair from your brow lines.
After your eyebrows are healed you should still care about your skin to keep them looking the best way the longest time possible.
- Apply sunscreen to the brow area to avoid fading.
- You may also get a touch up every 12 months as the area may fade.
Before and After Results
Procedures done in our Edinburgh clinic by our certified artists.